Golfers use Brown match to prepare for Ivy championship

It was a tough weekend for the men's golf team, as they split a pair of matches with Brown and were served a loss from Harvard as well.

The Big Green was forced to play without sophomores Kenan Yount and Hisaaki Kobayashi, who finished one and two for Dartmouth at last week's Yale Spring Open played in New Haven, Conn. They both took off to practice for the last and perhaps most important match of the season, the Ivy League Championships, which will be played this Saturday.

Friday's match-up pitted the Big Green against Harvard and Brown at the Eastward Ho course. A superb performance by Jeremiah Daly '04, shooting a 76, propelled Dartmouth to a one-stroke victory over Brown, 327-328. The Harvard squad had an incredible day shooting a striking 300 for the day.

On Saturday, Dartmouth faced just the Brown golf team but unfortunately could not repeat its prior success against the Bears. Brown posted a 314 while Dartmouth totaled a score of 336. The low man for the Dartmouth squad was Matt Uretsky '07, who shot a cool 80. Competing as an individual, Daly had another fine day, posting a 76.

Daly commented, "I played pretty well personally, but everyone else had a disappointing weekend. Two of our top three players, Kenan Yount and Chaki Kobayashi, took the weekend to practice for this weekend's Ivy Championship, so we had a depleted squad."

The focus however is on this weekend's Ivy League Championship match, as this really counts for all the marbles. With a good team performance, a championship is readily in sight for this consistent group of players.

Achieving this task will be difficult because the Big Green cannot play on an outdoor course due to the fact that the Hanover Country Club is not yet open.

Said Daly, "It's a bit difficult to practice because of the weather up here. Our course still isn't open, while Princeton and Penn have been practicing since early February. Nonetheless, I am confident that we will come through this weekend."

For Dartmouth, it all comes down to this weekend's Ivy League Championship, a contest that will determine the Big Green's standing in the Ancient Eight.