Aquatic Green men drop hammer at URI

The Dartmouth men's swimming and diving teams were cooler than being cool in their successful defense of the two-day Rhode Island Invitational that concluded Sunday. The Big Green men earned 563 points, with UMass second at 515, La Salle third at 388 and Rhode Island fourth with 252.

Earning Tommy Points for the aqueous Big Greenwere senior Thomas Sanford, who took first in both breaststroke events as well as the 200 IM, senior captain Ryan Goldhahn, with wins in the 50 and 100 frees, and Sean "Garden State Tickler" Robinson, who won the 400 IM and placed second to Sanford in the 200 IM.

"It was good to get a solid win over UMASS after our wins against Brown and Navy. We're working on establishing ourselves as a team that has to be taken seriously. If you don't respect us, we will hit you in the mouth. We have proved ourselves as the King of Crunk of the Ivy League," said Mike Hipps '05.

After his second place finish in the 100 butterfly, Graig Peterson '05, extolled the performances of some underclassmen on the team: "This weekend we saw several swimmers, Justin Neiman '06, Peter Laidlaw '07, and Brent Butler '07 in particular, on their baddest behavior. The younger guys on the team are finally saying 'We ain't scurred no mo', and are enabling our team to come at opponents in waves, a la Operation Enduring Freedom."

It is true that the men's swimmers are no longer 'scurred' as they improved their record on the season to 6-0 in the contiguous 48-states sending a message from the window to the wall that invokes fear in the hearts of every Ivy league coach.

The Dartmouth men are back in action on Thursday, traveling to New Hampshire for a 6 p.m. meet.