Linkin Park evolves on 'Meteora'

Linkin Park's 2000 release "Hybrid Theory" was a revolutionary, four-star album that broke down the dividing lines between rock, hip-hop and electronica. But 2002's "Reanimation" was a letdown: little more than a remixed "Hybrid Theory" offering depressingly little new material.

Don't worry, though: their new album, "Meteora," is indeed new material -- though only a rather-weak 36 and a half minutes of it. But with only a few exceptions, it's new material by a new band.

Linkin Park's brilliance in "Hybrid Theory" was their seamless fusion of the rock sound provided by singer Chester Benning-ton with the edgy, bass-heavy techno and hip-hop beats provided by MC Mike Shinoda and DJ Joseph Hahn. Listening to new songs like "Somewhere I Belong" -- the first single from "Meteora" --

and "Easier to Run," you would think you were still listening to "Hybrid." But those tracks are hardly representative of "Meteora."

While the rock/rap synthesis of "Hybrid" was nearly flawless, this new iteration is far from it. Bennington has developed a distinguishably hard rock kind of intonation, while the band tries desperately to continue incorporating DJ beats and rapping. The result is an increased gulf between Bennington and Shinoda.

In songs like "One Step Closer" from "Hybrid," it was nearly impossible to distinguish between the two, while songs like "Nobody's Listening" from "Meteora" sound less like Linkin Park's radical rock/rap duets and more like hip-hop with an intermittent singer.

But it may not be fair to compare "Meteora" to "Hybrid Theory." "Hybrid" was a polished album of 12 radio-ready singles that could have been released in any order and still delighted listeners. It was so damn good that they basically released it again with "Reanimation." "Meteora" is not loaded with singles. I wouldn't expect more than four to emerge from the album. However, that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Ironically, the album actually comes to life only when it breaks free of the self-imposed constraints that governed "Hybrid Theory." Instead of looking for ways that "Meteora" replicates the success of "Hybrid," it's more enjoyable and fairer to the album to take in the new sounds that are emerging.

Drummer Rob Bourdon has ditched the relentless banging that typified this rock-band-gone-wrong in favor of more intricate, heavier beats that complement the band's improved songwriting. Guitarist Brad Delson has also found way to get more from his instrument. Delson tucks the metal guitar riffs, his specialty, in his back pocket on songs like "Breaking the Habit," allowing the drums and rapid hip-hop beats to burst forth.

In fact, if "Easier to Run" typified the old Linkin Park, then I hope "Breaking the Habit" will be the model for the new. Some of the edge has been lost, and while the rap and rock elements have been retained, they're no longer so closely intertwined, working side by side instead of together.