Women's lax falls to Terps, Dukes

The Dartmouth women's lacrosse team, ranked 10th nationally, came up short against powerhouses Maryland and James Madison University with scores of 9-2 and 6-4 respectively on a difficult road trip over spring break.

After winning its first two games of the season, the defeats over break dropped the Big Green's record to 2-2.

The normally productive Dartmouth offense appeared impotent in their game against the No. 2 Maryland Terrapins. After the Big Green scored 31 goals in its first two games, Maryland was able to hold Dartmouth to just two goals in the contest.

After falling behind 3-0 early, co-captain Whitney Jamison '03 put the Big Green on the board with an unassisted goal. However, they would not manage to notch another goal until the game had fallen virtually out of reach.

Kristen Zimmer '06 rounded out the scoring when she found the back of the net late in the second half, making the score 7-2.

The Big Green women played the 14th-ranked James Madison Dukes to a closer scoring line in their second game, but suffered a similar result. The match got off to a promising start as the Big Green jumped out to an early 3-0 lead on goals by co-captain Lana Smith '04, Katieanne Christian '05 and Jamison.

James Madison responded immediately however, taking the lead with four goals of its own before Molly Jenkins '04 netted a goal for the Big Green, leaving the score tied at half time.

The Big Green women found their offense stifled once more in the second half as they were unable either to break down the James Madison defense or to find the back of the net.

The Dukes went on to tally two more goals and seal the victory. Devin Wills '06 made 10 saves in goal for the Big Green.

The Big Green women return disappointed with the results of the two games but not disheartened. They fully expect to rebound quickly with two more crucial games this weekend.

The women laxers will hit the road again and kick off their Ivy League campaign with a pair of matches, Saturday at Yale and Sunday at Columbia. The Big Green hopes to regain its scoring punch and to sit on top of the league standings by the end of the weekend.