We pick the best V-Day music

Valentine's Day always seems to stir rather strong feelings in people. Be it the joy of being in the arms of someone you love or the sadness of being alone on a day celebrating couplehood, it will be hard to stay emotionally indifferent tomorrow. Thankfully, love -- and love lost -- have been favorite topics of songwriters for centuries. So while people's sentiments will run the gamut tomorrow, thankfully there's a song for everyone.

Best Song to Show Him or Her How You Feel:

"Something," The Beatles

Frank Sinatra once called "Something" the greatest love song ever written, and it's hard to dispute the Chairman of the Board. Written by George Harrison, it's a song of love and devotion that's sure to make that special someone melt before your eyes. It's got some tender slide guitar from Harrison and a swelling string arrangement written by legendary musical mastermind Sir George Martin. Underneath the simple lyrics, "Something in the way she moves/Attracts me like no other lover I don't want to leave her now/You know I believe her now," it's music that can succinctly but poignantly express your deepest feelings for your significant other. But be forewarned, only a few years after George Harrison wrote this, his wife left him for Eric Clapton when Clapton wrote the

Best Song to Win Over Someone Who's Already Taken:

"Layla," Derek and the Dominos

Yes, Eric Clapton was really writing about George Harrison's wife Patti Boyd when he wrote this searing plea for love. As soon as your intended hears that classic guitar riff, the message is clear -- you mean business. Then Clapton's impassioned lyrics and vocal delivery lay it all on the line for you when he sings, "Let's make the best of the situation/Before I finally go insane/Please don't say we'll never find a way/And tell me all my love's in vain."

The vocals are then followed up by a fiery guitar solo from Duane Allman, expressing musically what can't be said verbally. And if you need to do some further convincing of your own, the song slows down and ends with a beautiful coda, which will serve as the perfect background music while you're making your final case.

Best Song to Set the Mood:

"Let's Get It On," Marvin Gaye

Is there any question on this one? The opening wah-wah guitar alone is the universal sonic symbol for passion. When Gaye sings, "I've been really trying baby/To hold back these feelings for so long/And if you feel like I feel baby/Come on," there isn't any doubt as to what he's talking about. But the words themselves are meaningless, because Gaye's velvety smooth voice backed up by the raw power of his delivery are what make the song.

Best Song for Getting Pent-Up Aggression at an Ex Out of Your System:

(tie) "Song for the Dumped," Ben Folds Five and "Hound Dog," Big Mama Thornton

Instead of taking your anger out on someone else, lock your room and blast either of these two songs. For the forlorn guy, Ben Folds wrote "Song for the Dumped" as a song with which ditched guys everywhere can identify. There's nothing better than screaming "I want my money back/Give me my money back, you bitch," at the top of your lungs to get out that rage. Backed by a pounding rhythm section and Folds beating his piano keys senseless, jilted guys are sure to feel better after thrashing around to this.

Though Elvis may have made the song famous, Big Mama Thornton's original version of "Hound Dog" is the perfect song for the girl who's been wronged. Slower and all-around grittier than the King's version, it stands as a scathing indictment of any sketchy guy from whom a girl may want to distance herself. In her gravelly Southern siren's voice, Thornton sings, "You ain't nothing but a hound dog/Snooping 'round my door You can wag your tail/But I ain't gonna feed you no more." Perhaps you've dated a "hound dog" or two in your time. If so, this is sure to satisfy.