Webb, Shrestha grab wins at Harvard Invite

Last weekend, the men's tennis team traveled to Harvard where they competed in the 2003 Harvard Winter Invitational.

With Ivy League foes Harvard, Brown and Princeton sending some of their top players, the tournament was filled with tough competition from around the League.

The Big Green was able to make some noise, as David Webb '05 defeated David Slater from Marist in the first round, 7-6, 6-4, before losing a hard-fought match to eighth-seeded Anil Shamasdin of Brown, 7-5, 6-2. In the back draw, Webb was defeated by Alex Hume of Kentucky, 7-5, 6-4.

Raj Shrestha '06 also won his first match, beating Brian Monier of Williams College, 6-2, 6-2, before losing to Phil Charm of Brown, 7-6, 7-5, in the second round. In the back draw, Shrestha lost to John Haywood of Williams, 6-4, 7-5.

In doubles, Webb and Andres Reyes '05 defeated Tindell and Pereverzev from MIT, 8-5, before losing to third-seeded Choo and Chu from Harvard, 8-3.

"It was a tough start," head coach Chuck Kinyon said, "but we were able to identify some of the areas that we need work. That is why we go to individual events of this sort."

"It definitely was a learning experience," Reyes said. "We now know what level we have to get at to compete for an Ivy League crown, so we are just going to try to put the past weekend behind us and look ahead to Vermont on Saturday."

Dartmouth plays their home opener this Saturday at 1 p.m. against the University of Vermont.