Squash teams survive busy week

The last week has been absolutely packed with great squash action, and both the Big Green men and women emerged from the tour triumphant. In a marathon week of squash, with matches on Friday, Saturday and Wednesday, the Dartmouth squash dynasty showed its resilience and fortitude with impressive victories over Cornell, Denison, St. Lawrence, Hobart and MIT from the two squads.

The Big Green women kicked off last weekend with an impressive 9-0 stomping of Cornell on Friday night. They continued their domination on Saturday with 9-0 humiliations of both St. Lawrence and Hobart/William Smith.

Wednesday brought some trouble, however, as the Harvard Crimson squeaked out a hard-fought 8-1 victory on their home turf.

After the weekend's domination, a jubilant Charlotte Haldeman '03 had this to say about the lady squashers' efforts: "No one stood a chance against us this weekend, as a team we didn't drop a single game in three matches."

True that, Charlotte, true that. The Big Green women are riding on a sweet Malibu-like wave of success, and no one wants to be the geezer to slow them down, so look out for some spectacular things in the coming weeks from the lady sqaushers.

As of today, the ladies are 8-3 overall and 1-2 in Ivy League competition.

The Dartmouth men are also coming off a successful effort, although their opponents proved to be a little too hard to handle at times.

The Big Green started the weekend off on Friday night with a 9-0 domination of the overmatched Denison squad, while dropping a close 7-2 match to the Cornell Big Red.

The Big Green rolled into Saturday with an impressive 9-0 blanking of St. Lawrence, while the University of Western Ontario squeaked out a tight 6-3 match.

After the weekend, men's captain Jesse Nisselson '04 had these pearls of wisdom to share with the "little people" out there: "We went .500 for the weekend. Both Cornell and UWO are real tough teams, but I think we demonstrated that we have what it takes to beat them at championships in a month."

He went on to say, "Jesus has graced us with the strength to overcome these difficult hurdles and we'll look for his guidance and strength to overcome our next unworthy opponents."

Word, Jessie, word.

The squashers continued their .500 streak on Wednesday, as they trounced the overmatched nerds from MIT 9-0 but dropped a tough contest to the Crimson 9-0.

All in all, the Big Green men emerged from the last six games with a 3-3 record, and more importantly, a renewed sense of purpose and unsurpassed intensity. The squashers are now 9-5 overall and 0-3 in Ivy play on the season.

Look for both squads to bring the pain on Sunday as they will face Brown and Colby. The matches are set to start at 12 p.m., so bring your lunch boxes and a picnic. Stay cool and try not to catch fire because the Dartmouth Squash dynasty will be cooking with gas at the Berry Center on Sunday.