Juniors swim great as Big Green falls to Columbia

Despite great swims by juniors Thomas Sanford, Matt Sueoka and Ryan Goldhahn, the Dartmouth men's swimming and diving team fell to the Columbia Lions, 177-121, on Saturday.

After helping Dartmouth's 500 medley relay to victory, Sanford won the 50 breaststroke (26.99), 200 breaststroke (2:08.42) and the 100 individual medley (53.97). Team captain Paul Schned '03 said of Sanford's performances, "He swam so fast, it was really totally sweet. Tom's 100 breaststroke split during the relay was a 1:30.6. That's on pace for to make the cut for the NCAA [Championship] meet " very exciting."

Dartmouth's other victory came in the 50 fly where junior Matt Sueoka was first in 23.88, adding the sprint to his usual distance fly repertoire. Junior Ryan Goldhahn was second in both the 50 and 200 freestyles. Goldhahn's 1:45.16 time in the 200 yard freestyle was just 4/100s of a second behind Mike Bazylewicz.

On the boards, junior divers Mike Tanana and Dan Olsen placed 2-3 in both one- and three-meter diving events. Dartmouth diving alumnus Scott Brown '02 was present for their showing: "These two kids did a great job today. Mikey and Danny have grown up a lot since their freshman years back in 2000-2001. It's great to see them as the big guys on the board."

Dartmouth (2-3, 0-3 Ivy) looks to secure their in-state dominance tomorrow when they host the University of New Hampshire at 6 p.m.