Ivy rivals top women's swimming

In two rough competitions this weekend, Big Green women's swimming fell to Yale, the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, with scores of 170-112, 165-117 and 172-132 respectively.

The difficult weekend began with a morning meet on Saturday at Karl Michael Pool against both Yale and Penn. Both are considered high caliber teams within the Ivy League and lived up to their reputations, proving too strong to be overcome by the Dartmouth squad.

Despite much disappointment, senior Emily Barsky dominated Saturday's diving events for the Big Green. First, she won the one-meter competition with a score of 237.45. She then placed third in the three-meter event. Protg Kate Brodie '06 took fourth in the one-meter dive.

In Saturday's swimming events, junior Lauren Gilhooly also had a successful meet, placing fourth in both the 100 freestyle (54.25) and 50 freestyle (25.19) contests. Teammate Kristin Simunovich '06 finished just behind Gilhooly, taking fifth place (25.34).

Sunday's meet against three-time Ivy champion Princeton brought even more success for Barsky. Winning both the one-meter (265.58) and three-meter (253.38) events, Barsky trampled the Tigers diving squad.

Once again, Gilhooly and Simunovich were successful in the 50 free, taking places one and two respectively.

Other victories for Dartmouth included Karla Leavens '03 in the 25 butterfly (12.51); Cary Telander '06 in the 100 individual medley (1:02.92); and the Big Green 100 freestyle relay.

Gilhooly noted the difficulties of this weekend as she said, "Many of our girls were sick, injured or absent. We stuck together extremely well given the circumstances."

Dartmouth (2-7) now prepares for its final home meet against Army this Saturday at noon.