'Ice Age' warms into family flick

Following in the footsteps of such recent animated blockbusters as "Shrek" and "Monsters, Inc.," "Ice Age" nicely combines a unique animation style with an interesting story and fun dialogue to produce a high-quality film fit for family viewing.

The narrative follows the exploits of an unlikely trio of animals: Manfred (voiced by Ray Romano), a cynical wooly mammoth; Sid (John Leguizamo), an ultra-hyper sloth; and Diego (Denis Leary), a vicious saber-toothed tiger. Together they watch after a human infant that they found at the bank of a stream.

Early on in the movie, the audience learns of the real reason for Diego's interest in the baby and why he offers to join Manfred and Sid on their trek. Diego and his local band of tigers plot revenge against a group of humans with the plan of taking the infant away from its family. A subsequent fight between the two groups results in the infant's mother sacrificing her own life to save that of her child.

The hardy trio trudges on with the baby in tow through blizzards, volcanic eruptions and all sorts of dangerous situations. They finally arrive at their destination with the goal of returning the child to its family, only to encounter the band of vengeful tigers in the film's climax.

Though the story is somewhat standard and predictable, and is best suited for a younger audience in that respect, the film still is able to gain a wide interest from its amusing characters, aesthetically pleasing animated scenery and witty dialogue.

In the outset of "Ice Age," as most of the animals in the area are beginning their migration south for the winter season, a group of youthful elephants play in a mud pit. Their disinterested parents instruct them that they "can play extinction later."

The stars of the film also develop their own unique personalities, especially the diminutive sloth Sid. Leguizamo's slurred speech fits perfectly with Sid's character, and he becomes the subject of numerous slapstick gags throughout the movie.

The filmmakers also do a solid job of providing some depth into the other characters of Manfred and Diego, which helps make the story more believable and entertaining.

The most bizarre - and maybe the funniest - character ,though, is an unnamed squirrel, which appears in the film's opening scene and reappears periodically throughout. This squirrel, while apparently unable to talk, still manages to steal every scene in which he appears with his amusing antics and his unyielding devotion in attempting to retain his beloved acorn.

Many other memorable scenes occur during the animals' journey, including a meeting with a group of hapless, apocalyptic birds that ends with Sid assuming the role of a football running back. Another visually appealing sequence happens when the protagonists find themselves sliding through an icy cave like a group of Olympic lugers.

The three animals and the baby begin to form a bond, which leads to a number of jokes based on common family disputes, as Manfred acts like the strict father to the rambunctious duo of Sid and the infant.

In a move that is rare in many of today's animated films, "Ice Age" makes good use of the Rusted Root tune, "Send Me On My Way," to provide ideal background music to the quartet's travels through the wintry wilderness.

The movie winds its way to a somewhat typical, Disney-style conclusion, but that fact does not detract much from the movie as a whole. While the story is not particularly unique in any major way, the liveliness and fun atmosphere of the film easily keeps it interesting for the duration of the story.

"Ice Age" stands out as one the most appealing and best-made family movies to hit the big screen in recent years. It is a good bet for a young audience, but it will also provide an older viewer with plenty of reasons to smile as well.