Ben Folds electrifies Spaulding

In Spaulding "get your foot off the boat" Auditorium last night, Ben Folds lived up to his reputation as a great performer and then some, as the former frontman of Ben Folds Five put on an all-around excellent show.

Folds immediately set the tone for the concert when he crawled on his hands and knees onto the stage. Once seated at his grand piano, Folds began a funny, irreverent stage banter that continued throughout the entirety of the performance. Folds requested someone from backstage to bring him some water, but before that could happen, an audience member supplied his own water bottle to the delight of the crowd and Folds.

But it was not all fun and games. Folds, with no backing band to support him, treated the audience to a clinic in rock piano. His playing ranged from gentle, light melodic lines to furious solos that recalled Elton John, circa 1971, on "Burn Down The Mission."

Folds' humor and musicianship, coupled with a solid set of songs, produced a thoroughly enjoyable and captivating performance.

Since disbanding Ben Folds Five, Folds has tended to exclusively play his newer material live. The set he featured at Spaulding, however, was a perfect mix of classics and selections from his recent "Rockin' the Suburbs."

Folds opened with "Boxing," a cut from the self-titled debut of Ben Folds Five, which provided a slightly somber but also inviting beginning to the show.

Another track, "Philosophy," from the same album may have been the musical highlight of the show. The song boasted some unbelievable piano work from Folds, who played the tune passionately. At times, the song felt like a runaway train that Folds was barely able to keep pace with.

Other crowd-pleasers included "Kate," which again was highlighted by some excellent piano from Folds. With its meandering bass line, percussive sound and catchy melody, Folds did a remarkable job of coaxing disparate sounds out of his instrument.

The vocal prowess displayed by Folds was also impressive. Folds is known more as a musical phenom than for his singing, but his appealing sound and superb vocal inflections were heard on such songs as "Zak and Sara" and his lone top-40 hit, "Brick."

Whether he was thrilling the spectators with a breathtaking piano solo or relating a funny story about his beginnings in the music business (how he had to write "4.6 songs" to fulfill his contract) or talking of the dangers of Sudafed, Folds was always in charge.

For all the hilarity, there were some truly poignant moments, particularly in the sensitive songs "Fred Jones Part 2," "Brick" and "Eddie Walker." His accessible lyrics rang true when he sang, "no one is left here that knows his first name" on "Fred Jones Part 2." The emotion created by the soulful vocals was unmistakable.

Folds ripped through 12 solid songs before departing, but he returned for an encore following a standing ovation. He ended with his 15th tune of the evening, the rollicking, humorous "Song for the Dumped" from 1997's "Whatever and Ever Amen" LP.

Blending the influences of such piano-driven songwriters as Elton John and Billy Joel with the classic pop sounds of Randy Newman and Electric Light Orchestra, Folds has molded a thoroughly fun and accessible musical style. Combine this style with his magnificent on-stage presence, and Folds is undoubtedly a star with a bright solo future before him.