Glee Club takes over Spaulding for a pair of weekend performances

Among the countless performance groups that entertain the Dartmouth community on a continuous basis is the college's award-winning Glee Club. For decades, the harmonious voices of the Glee Club have echoed through the streets of Hanover.

While it's been some time since their last performance, the roughly 40-plus members of the Glee Club will be performing tonight and tomorrow at 8:00 p.m. for audiences in Spaulding Auditorium.

While the range of the Glee Club spans over nearly 400 years, the ensemble brings their unique and spirited touch to every performance. By combining traditional and classic songs with the upbeat harmonies of the College's students, the Glee Club has managed to create a prominent name for itself among Dartmouth's musical ensembles.

In the company of Dartmouth a cappella and performance groups, many have looked to the Glee Club for inspiration for years. The origins of many of Dartmouth's current performance groups are indeed firmly rooted in the beliefs of this traditional ensemble.

Under the direction of Louis Burkot since 1981, the Glee Club has continued to expand upon its repertoire, always adding to its current pieces.

This weekend, the group will offer a rendition of "Iolanthe," an operetta from the ever popular Gilbert and Sullivan. The performance is set to include a fully staged production of the original operetta.

The range of performances will include solos, duets and choral pieces, focusing on the work's thematic elements and encompassing every aspect of the Glee Club's tradition.

Last year the Glee Club had the privilege of performing with alumni at a Brahms Requiem special performance during the season at Carnegie Hall in New York City. The group also sang for a large audience at a special performance at St. Peters in Vatican City this summer as part of a long anticipated Italian tour.