Dartmouth theater department tackles 'La Celestina'

The Dartmouth theater department will begin a multi-day run of "La Celestina" tonight at the Moore Theater, performing a new version of the tragicomedy adapted by Pamela Howard and Robert Potter from the University of California-Santa Barbara. The production marks the world premiere of this English translation of the play.

Howard, one of Britain's leading scenographers, will also act as guest director of the performance.

Howard trained at the Birmingham College of Arts and Crafts and the Slade School of Fine Art in London. She has worked for the Royal National Theatre, the English Touring Theatre and the Royal Shakespeare Company. She founded the European Scenography Centres and the MA Scenography Course based at Central Saint Martin's College of Art and Design in London.

Orignally written in 15th-century Spain by Fernando de Rojas, a "converso" Jew, "La Celestina," centers around the love affair between the daughter of a weathy merchant and a young aristocrat. The show combines comic and dramatic elements.

De Rojas described his work as "a tale of lovers, sweet in the telling, bitter at the core, lascivious and laughable, fit for the hearing of all fellow sufferers, an example to be heeded, a truth to share."The 13-member cast of "La Celestina" includes 11 Dartmouth students -- Eleanor Siegler '01, Jeffrey Withers '02, Niegel Smith '02, Brett Quimby '02, Tom Dugdale '03 , Hanna Putnam '03, Amanda Eubanks '03, Katia Asche '04, Marina McClure '04, Katy Flynn-Meketon '05 and Phillippe de Richemont '04.

The remaining two cast members are David Williams, who plays de Rojas and Pleberio and Carolyn Gordon, who plays the title role of Celestina.

Members of the Dartmouth community do not only dominate center stage; they play a major role behind-the-scenes as well. Sets were designed by Professor Georgi Alexi-Meskhishvili, costumes were done by Professor Margaret Spicer and lighting is arranged by Professor Dan Kotlowitz.

"La Celestina" was published anonymously in 1499 and is still regarded as one of the greatest works of Spanish literature, comparable to "Don Quixote."

In addition to the performances, which run through March 2, a three-part lecture series will be held to discuss such issues as multiculturalism in 15th-century Spain and the reception of "La Celestina" in the 20th century. There will also be an art exhibition titled "La Celestina in Print," which will be on display in Rauner Library from Feb. 20 through March 4.