'Wheels' on Fire: Wheelihan Sparks the Green

The wheel has turned.

Sophomore left winger Mike Wheelihan, absent from the Dartmouth men's hockey line chart in 33 of 34 games last year and in the first nine games this season, has finally found a comfortable spot on the Big Green--the starting lineup.

Wheelihan, who received his chance after the Big Green stumbled to three consecutive losses following a 4-1-1 start, has been impressive in his three games, helping to form a solid line alongside veteran Jamie Herrington '02 and rookie Lee Stempniak '05 as Dartmouth righted the ship with a couple of December wins over Merrimack.

"It's all about getting the opportunity and getting confidence," Wheelihan said. "Playing with Jamie and Lee, I fit in well. I think we've clicked so far and I hope I can continue to contribute."

Last season, Wheelihan's only appearance came in the ECAC consolation game, a tough-to-watch yawner that was devoid of much spirit, atmosphere or meaning.

Any player's self-confidence would be tested after being left on the sidelines for almost an entire season, so suiting up for the last three games -- including the last two as a starter -- has been a big boost for the 6-1, 200 pounder known affectionately by his teammates as "Wheels."

"When you're not playing, it's easy to get down and wonder what you're doing wrong," Wheelihan said. "You just have to stick with it and work hard. That's what I've tried to do."

The Wheels-Herry-Stemper line clicked so well in Dartmouth's 3-2 win over Merrimack on Dec. 15 that head coach Bob Gaudet '81 started the trio in both games of the Sheraton/Howard Bank Classic at Vermont in late December.

The line responded well to the promotion, combining for three points in the opening-round win over Merrimack as Herrington went on to earn All-Tournament honors.

"Anytime you make an All-Tournament team, it's a tribute to the whole line," said Herrington, a co-captain.

"We all skated well at the tournament and got a lot of opportunities. We played smart hockey and that's why we got noticed."

Herrington, a speedy skater who is acclaimed throughout the league for his footwork and ability to create chances, has had various linemates throughout his 104-game career. In Wheelihan and Stempniak, he may have finally found keepers.

"Wheels is a really smart player with the puck," Herrington said. "I think he's effective playing with Lee and myself because we're always trying to get open. He makes good passes, so that's gives us some opportunities. It's a good combination."

Another good combination is 1-6-81, as in Jan. 6, 1981--Wheelihan's birthday.

The Big Green hosts Vermont tonight at 7 p.m. in a big ECAC battle before heading to Portland to face Maine on Sunday.

Wheels is hoping to pot his first career goal to celebrate the occasion.

"A goal would be nice," he said. "The most important thing is to get a win."

Spoken like a seasoned veteran.