English 68 hurts dept. reputation

I am writing in response to rumors and allegations of pervasive cheating in Professor Jeffrey Hart's English 68 class, or as the course is commonly known on campus, "Easy Jeff."

I have long been disappointed by the popularity of the class that has been so widely and openly regarded as unchallenging -- as a "gut." I am now outraged by it, as it threatens to compromise the integrity and reputation of the English department and the College's honor code.

It is difficult for students who take pride in the academic integrity of this institution not to feel that our academic accomplishments have compromised and tainted.

Professor Hart's refusal to condemn the cheating that he believes happened during his examination and his refusal to take the necessary and required steps to investigate these violations clearly undermines the honor code of this institution.

It is imperative that the faculty, as academic role models of their students, demonstrate an allegiance to and respect for the honor code. Without this necessary leadership, it makes it far easier to understand -- while not excuse -- the cheating that allegedly took place.

Furthermore, it remains the absolute obligation of professors to report suspicions of impropriety to the Committee on Standards for outside investigation.

Professor Hart has openly disregarded this responsibility. Cheating is an inexcusable violation to the honor principle, but so too is a faculty member's refusal to abide by his or her obligations.

As an English major, it is painful to watch the reputation and integrity of the English department compromised by Professor Hart's English 68 class.

In my four years at Dartmouth, I have participated in many of the opportunities available to students by the department, including the FSP and the thesis program, and I have developed an enormous amount of respect for the department.

Yet learning about the structure and leadership of this class challenges my own respect for the department.

English 68 is an upper-level "special topics" class in the English department. As such, it will fulfill the future curriculum requirement for a "culminating experience."

The implicit description of an upper-level class is one of a small size, enabling discussion and constant professor-student interaction. These classes almost never enroll more than thirty students.

Professor Hart's refusal to put a number limit on his class, a class which now holds nearly 500 students, makes a mockery of the course structure that the English department has created. Furthermore, the class size itself puts into serious question the human possibility of Professor Hart grading all the papers he has assigned, which he claims he will do himself.

Bur this is not the central issue. The central issue is that the campus is talking. We're talking about cheating on Professor Hart's examination. Even Professor Hart is talking about it. But no one is doing anything.

I believe that first of all, it is the responsibility -- no, it is the obligation -- of Hart to bring his suspicions of impropriety to the Committee on Standards. If not, James Wright, dean of the faculty, or Dean Pelton, the head of the COS, must intervene and take action.

I understand the temptation to turn away from this problem, as Professor Hart is soon retiring and the term is quickly coming to a close. It is imperative as an expression of Dartmouth's commitment to the principles of the honor code that this matter be taken very seriously.

If through an investigation, there emerges sufficient evidence of the presence of pervasive cheating but no specific culprits are found, I suggest that as an immediate solution, the class be changed into a pass/fail class.

This would serve to differentiate it in status from other upper-level English classes -- indeed, from all other Dartmouth classes -- and to demonstrate to the Dartmouth community a commitment to the honor principle of this institution.

Regardless of the specific solution, it is imperative that something be done. The College must take immediate and decisive action.